We are pleased to announce our 2017 Local Scholarship program. Recipients may receive a scholarship in the amount of $2000 or greater.
If you are a young woman pursuing a Bachelor’s or Graduate degree or know someone who is, the Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) is now accepting applications from eligible candidates for our Local 2017 Scholarship Awards.
2017 Local Scholarship Eligibility Guidelines are:
1. Scholarships will be offered to local women. Applicants must have either:
Resided in the Walnut Creek city limits or unincorporated area of Walnut Creek boundaries during high school, and/or currently reside within the Walnut Creek city limits or unincorporated area boundaries.
Graduated from the San Ramon Valley Unified School District, or during high school resided in the district while attending a private school, and/or currently reside within the San Ramon Valley Unified School District boundaries.
2. Undergraduate applicants must be entering into their junior standing or higher, at an accredited 4-year college or university, no later than the fall of the upcoming school year after which they apply for the scholarship.
3. Applicants pursuing an advanced degree – masters, doctorate, or post-doctorate – must be accepted at an accredited college or university graduate program for their course of study. Recipients must start and/or continue in their program no later than the fall of the year in which the award is given.
4. Applicants from all fields of studies and disciplines can apply.
5. Desirable applicants must have an above average academic record, be actively involved in school and/or community activities, and possess a desire to pursue educational and career goals.
6. In support of the AAUW mission, awards are granted to females, but are otherwise granted without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen.
7. The recipient of the Jane Trittipo Scholarship will be selected from applicants in a medically related field of studies. Undergraduate, graduate, doctorate, and post doctorate level students qualify as long as they meet other eligibility criteria for the year in which they are applying.
8. The recipient of the Creative Endeavors scholarship will be selected from applicants in visual art fields that create works such as ceramics, drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, design, crafts, photography, video, film-making, and architecture. Also included are the applied arts, such as industrial design, graphic design, fashion design, interior design, and decorative art. Applicants must also meet other local scholarship eligibility criteria for the year in which they are applying.
9. Scholarship recipients are selected on a competitive basis with consideration of the applicant’s academic record, leadership, participation in school and community activities, honors, awards, work experience, educational and career goals, and letters of recommendation.
10. Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all required information, including recommendations, in one packet. Applications are evaluated based on the information supplied. Applicants must complete and submit the application along with all required supporting documents as specified in the application.
11. The application package must be sent to the Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek AAUW Local Scholarship address on the application, and be received within one week of the date specified on the website and application for the current year. Late submissions (i.e., applications with postmarks after that date) or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
12. Each Letter of Recommendation must be signed twice by the person recommending the candidate, once at the bottom of the letter and again across the place where the envelope is sealed. In this way, all letters can be included in the one packet mailed by the applicant to the Local Scholarship Chairman.
13. Recipients will be awarded a scholarship in the minimum to maximum dollar range as specified on the Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek branch website for current year.
14. Scholarship payments will be made in a lump sum no later than June 30 following the notification of award. Checks may be either presented in person to recipient or designate, or mailed to recipient’s home address. Checks will be made payable directly to the student.
15. Use of scholarship funds are intended for educational pursuits.
16. Scholarships are determined on a competitive basis. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as a recipient.
17. Recipients will be awarded a scholarship on a one-time only basis and are not renewable.
18. Applicants not previously selected for a scholarship may reapply in a subsequent year, as long as they meet all other eligibility criteria for the year in which they are applying.
19. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
20. Recipients are required to notify the Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek AAUW branch of any changes in address, school enrollment/planned enrollment, or other relevant information that might affect selection and receiving a scholarship prior to the award being granted.
21. The Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek branch reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time, including termination of the program.
Need more information: Contact Jarilyn Jennison at email@example.com and put AAUW Local Scholarship Question in the subject box.
The application packet must be mailed to:
Jarilyn Jennison, AAUW Local Scholarship, P.O. Box 996, Alamo, CA 94507 and consist of:
1. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions.
2. Official copy of current class schedule.
3. A typed statement up to 500 words covering your educational and career goals.
4. Two letters of recommendation:
One from a faculty member such as a professor, advisor or administrator
One from a community member such as an employer, minister, or youth group leader
The letters should be from a non-relative of the applicant. Letters of Recommendation should be returned to the student in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s signature over the seal by Friday, March 17, 2017.
5. Completed packets must be postmarked by Saturday, April 1, 2017.