American Association of University Women Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek Branch
2021 Local Scholarship — Must be submitted by March 12, 2021
Please use the PDF forms – click below:
Dear Scholarship Applicant:
We are pleased with your interest in our American Association of University Women Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek (AAUW DAW) branch scholarship program. Scholarship recipients will receive a minimum scholarship of $1,500 or greater.
2021 Applicants must meet the following eligibility guidelines:
- Scholarships will be offered to local women. Applicants must have either:
- Resided in the Walnut Creek city limits or unincorporated area of Walnut Creek boundaries during high school, and/or currently reside within the Walnut Creek city limits or unincorporated area boundaries.
- Graduated from the San Ramon Valley Unified School District or during high school, resided in the district while attending a private school, and/or currently reside within the San Ramon Valley Unified School District boundaries.
- Undergraduate applicants must be entering into their junior year or higher, at an accredited 4-year college or university, no later than the fall of the upcoming school year after which they apply for the scholarship.
- Applicants pursuing an advanced degree- – masters, doctorate, or post-doctorate- – must be accepted at an accredited college or university graduate program for their course of study. Recipients must start and/or continue in their program no later than the fall of the year in which the award is given.
- Applicants from all fields of studies and disciplines can apply.
- Desirable applicants must have an above average academic record, be actively involved in school and/or community activities, and possess a desire to pursue educational and career goals.
- In support of the AAUW mission, awards are granted to females, but are otherwise granted without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen.
- Relatives of AAUW branch officers or Scholarship Committee Members in a given year are not eligible to apply for local scholarships that same year.
- The recipient of the Creative Endeavors scholarship will be selected from recipients in visual art fields that create works such as ceramics, drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, design, crafts, photography, video, filmmaking, architecture. Also included are the applied arts, such as industrial design, graphic design, fashion design, interior design, and decorative art.
- The recipient of the Jane Trittipo Scholarship will be selected from Local Scholarship recipients in a medically related field of studies.
- Scholarship recipients are selected on a competitive basis with consideration of the applicant’s academic record, leadership, participation in school and community activities, honors, awards, work experience, educational and career goals, and letters of recommendation. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients.
- Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all required information. Applications are evaluated based on the information supplied. Applicants must complete and submit the application along with all required supporting documents as specified in the application.
- The application package must be sent to the AAUW Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek Local Scholarship address listed below and be postmarked by the due date as specified on the application for the current year. Late submissions (i.e. applications postmarked after the due date) or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Letters of Recommendation should be included in the scholar’s application package in a sealed envelope or mailed by the evaluator directly to the Local Scholarship Chairman at the address provided on the form. The letters should be postmarked by the date specified on the Letter of Recommendation form.
- Recipients will be awarded a scholarship at or above the minimum amount specified on the Danville-Alamo- Walnut Creek branch website for current year.
- Scholarship payments will be made in a lump sum no later than June 30 following notification of award. Upon receipt of proof of enrollment, checks may be either presented in person to recipient or designate, or mailed to recipient’s home address by certified mail. Checks will be made payable directly to the student.
- Recipients are required to notify the AAUW Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek branch of any changes in address, school enrollment/planned enrollment, or other relevant information that might affect selection and receiving a scholarship prior to the award being granted or the beginning of the academic period.
- Scholarship recipients will be contacted in January following their award to provide evidence (e.g., unofficial transcript or screenshot of grade report) that shows they completed the fall term as planned and to submit a short paragraph indicating how the scholarship was used to help them achieve their academic goals.
- Use of scholarship funds are intended in support of educational pursuits.
- Recipients will be awarded a scholarship on a one-time only basis and are not renewable.
- Applicants not previously selected for a scholarship may reapply in a subsequent year, as long as they meet all other eligibility criteria for the year in which they are applying.
- All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
- The Danville-Alamo–Walnut Creek branch reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time, including termination of the program.
Need more information? Contact Dianne Tinnes at email@example.com
Application Packet Contents:
1. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions for coursework completed at the time of application.
2. Copy of current class schedule.
3. A typed statement up to 500 words covering your educational and career goals.
4. Two letters of recommendation from a non-relative of the applicant: One from a faculty member such as a professor, advisor or administrator; one from a community member such as an employer, minister, or youth group leader. Letters of Recommendation should be returned to the student or directly to the Local Scholarship Chair in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s signature over the seal by the date specified on the letter of recommendation form.
Submission Address: The application packet must be mailed to AAUW Local Scholarships, P. O. Box 996, Alamo, CA 94507
Due Date: Completed application packets must be postmarked by the due date on the application.
Name (Last) (First) (Middle)
Permanent Address (Number) (Street) (Apt. No.) (City) (County) (Zip)
Names and addresses of parents or guardian/s (if applicable):
2. Educational Information
High school from which you graduated
City State Year graduated
Undergraduate degree earned (if applicable)
City State Year
List accredited institution(s) in which you are currently registered:
d) Proposed Degree/Advanced Degree and academic area of study
e) Units earned to date Required units to graduate GPA
3. Work and Activity Information:
List school and/or community activities during the last four years. Indicate activity, offices, and awards.
List work experience during the last four years: employer, type of work, duties, and dates employed.
Your signature on this application certifies that this award will help you continue your academic work. If you are unable to complete your course work for the next term, please notify the committee. Consent is given to the Scholarship Committee to obtain academic or other information deemed necessary to fairly award the grant.
By signing you certify that all information submitted with your application is accurate. In addition, if you receive an award, you authorize the publication of your name and your attended institution of learning in AAUW communications and in local media.
(Applicant’s signature) ______________________________________ (Date) ____________________
Please include a typed statement of up to 500 words covering your educational and career goals.
Photo Release Agreement
If I receive a Local Scholarship, by signing below I agree to grant AAUW Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek Branch permission to publish on the internet, news media sources, or other forms of communication (to include but not limited to radio, flyer, TV and magazine), photographic images with my name and attended institution of learning. These photographic images will become part of the branch’s historical record and will be published on the branch’s website. The photographic images with my name and attended institution of learning may be sent for publication to local area news media.
______I agree to the above photo release agreement
______I do not agree
Printed Name ___________________________________________________________________________________
Form Prepared January 2021