Our Branch DEI goals:
Teresa Cheung, Branch DEI Officer
- Support the DAW branch to advance learning and expand commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). There is an emphasis on increasing DEI awareness, engagement, and branch participation in DEI efforts, with particular attention to connecting and collaborating with organizations that promote and embody DEI. Refer to https://www.aauw.org/resources/member/governance-tools/aauws-diversity-statement/
- Share promising and innovative practices related to DEI.
- Become familiar with National AAUW resources https://www.aauw.org/resources/member/governance-tools/dei-toolkit/
- Identify and engage like-minded organizations for potential collaborative opportunities.
- Provide resources to Board and assist board and committees in the development and implementation of DEI goals with strategies and materials to accomplish efforts.
If you wish to participate and have DEI ideas to share, please contact Teresa at aauwTeresa at gmail.com.
From our California AAUW DEI:
Stormy Miller Sabia, Director, DEI Committee Chair, email@example.com
Let’s Talk DEI: Recap and Thank You! The AAUW California DEI Committee sends a great big THANK YOU for your participation in our first DEI coordinator/director community conversation – “Let’s Talk DEI.” While we thought we would have to spend time explaining the meaning of DEI, you have been advocating for diversity, equity and inclusion one way or another for many years in your own milieu. Those coordinators/directors who were new to DEI quickly grasped the scope of the challenge ahead and didn’t seem to shy away.
Did you miss Let’s Talk DEI: Session I? Here’s a link and password (653525) to access the recording!
“The Kindness of Color” For a DEI inspiration, check out the new “Kindness of Color” program from AAUW CA. Two families: one Japanese American and one Mexican American. Two true stories of their separate battles with racism, incarceration, and school segregation in the WWII era. Unexpectedly, their lives intersect, paving the way for a landmark court decision in California. Join author and descendant Janice Munemitsu for the intimate story of how the kindness of friends and strangers provided hope and strength to persevere against unjust treatment. To view the recorded webinar click HERE.