DEI Around the Table: February 13, 6:00 to 7:30pm
All branch members are welcome to attend. The February DEI Committee meeting will be in person at Teresa Roeder’s home.
- A quick review of the AAUW national DEI Team’s monthly Zoom held from 4:00-5:00 pm that day.
- An update of takeaways from the most recent statewide DEI call.
- A discussion of “The Future of Academic Freedom”, an article by Harvard Law School professor Jeannie Suk Gersen, published in The New Yorker on January 27, 2024. We’ll examine the DEI challenges posed by free speech constraints that are causing widespread turmoil on college campuses and contributing to high-profile resignations including that of Claudine Gay (an AAUW Fellowship recipient) as the first Black president of Harvard University.
To RSVP, please contact Ogie Strogatz at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you’ll join us on February 13th!
Our Branch DEI goals:
by Teresa Cheung, Branch DEI Officer
- Support the DAW branch to advance learning and expand commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). There is an emphasis on increasing DEI awareness, engagement, and branch participation in DEI efforts, with particular attention to connecting and collaborating with organizations that promote and embody DEI.
For AAUW’s “Diversity Statement”, click here.
- Share promising and innovative practices related to DEI.
- Become familiar with National AAUW resources. For AAUW’s DEI toolkit, click here.
- Identify and engage like-minded organizations for potential collaborative opportunities.
- Provide resources to Board and assist board and committees in the development and implementation of DEI goals with strategies and materials to accomplish efforts.
If you wish to participate and have DEI ideas to share, please contact Teresa at aauwTeresa@gmail.com.
Refer to Past Branch DEI Meetings and DEI Information:
Jan 9, 2024 – DEI on Zoom – click here
Dec 12, 2023 – Holiday DEI “Around the table” – click here
Nov 7, 2023 – DEI on Zoom – click here
Nov 7, 2023 – Presentation slides defining the branch DEI committee’s purpose and providing strategies for handling “microaggression” – click here
From the AAUW California DEI Committee:
DEI Statewide Chat – View our statewide chat held in October, 2022, that explores AAUW’s efforts around Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). The webinar features an intimate conversation with national leaders at the time – Julia Brown, AAUW Board of Directors Chair, and Melissa LaDuke, AAUW DEI Chair.
Learn about the DEI issues our organization faces and National’s efforts to address them. Leave with what we can do individually and collectively to strengthen our understanding and commitment to this work. Click here to see the video.
“The Kindness of Color” – For a DEI inspiration, check out the new “Kindness of Color” program from AAUW CA. Two families: one Japanese American and one Mexican American. Two true stories of their separate battles with racism, incarceration, and school segregation in the WWII era. Unexpectedly, their lives intersect, paving the way for a landmark court decision in California. Join author and descendant Janice Munemitsu for the intimate story of how the kindness of friends and strangers provided hope and strength to persevere against unjust treatment. To view the recorded webinar click HERE.