Our Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek branch of the American Association of University Women is looking for volunteers.
Tech Trek STEM Camp goes virtual in 2021—Your chance to help girls in STEM
by Deborah Wechsler, DAW Tech Trek Chair 2020-21
You may have already heard that all Tech Trek in-person camps nation-wide have been cancelled for 2021. California Tech Trek leaders, partnering with the technology company Qualcomm, have created a virtual camp experience based on a pilot in August 2020 with about 40 participants. The camp has a core component of hands-on robotics creation. Three to four 2021 Virtual Camps will be scheduled between mid-June and early August based on camper enrollment (likely dates 6/2125, 7/12-16, 7/26-30, and/or 8/2-6).
There are many exciting opportunities for your involvement for 2021. Please let me know if you are interested in helping with any of the following:
- Participate in the interview and selection process, to be done virtually probably beginning in February 2021. Details of how this will happen are being worked out at the CA State level, but it will all be done virtually this year.
- Help distribute robotics kits to selected girls.
- Participate as a Build Coach, Social Coach, or Workshop Coach for one or more camps. You will receive training (4-8 hours) and a monetary stipend. Applications for positions will be coming out soon.
- Help me by joining my advisory team for giving feedback and ideas. I would like to form this team regardless of our branch level of participation in the 2021 Virtual camp
More details about these opportunities and the virtual camp are available on our website https://daw-ca.aauw.net/programs/techtrek/. Please contact me with any questions or to volunteer. Realize that you are not binding yourself to a full commitment yet. Not your thing? I encourage you to forward this information to your relatives or friends who might be interested in volunteering to support girls in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math). Thanks in advance for your patience and support of Tech Trek as we continue to navigate this new world.
Volunteer for virtual Expanding your Horizons February 29
By Judy Lauper
Expanding Your Horizons is still taking place on February 20th, but this year it will be virtual. Classes are not totally worked out yet. But right now they are asking our help on these two dates:
- Saturday, February 13: Pass out the packets.
- Saturday, February 20: Be a monitor in the virtual classroom. You would take roll and monitor the chat questions to let the presenters know. The group will train you beforehand. If you are not afraid of technology, please sign up for this one.
If you are interested in volunteering, email Judy Lauper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the AAUW California Public Policy team for virtual lobby day in March
On March 24, 2021, AAUW California in conjunction with its new advocacy firm, MVM Strategy Group, will be conducting a virtual Lobby Day in Sacramento with California legislators. You can participate in this event. Doing so enables you to get involved in the public policy process and help the state Public Policy (PP) Committee advance its legislative goals for 2021-22.
This event also provides a way for you to meet your local legislators and let them know how, through AAUW, you are helping their constituents in your communities. All participants will be given full training in a Zoom webinar on March 22, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. Click HERE to register for this training webinar “How to Talk to Your Legislators.”
If you are interested in participating in this event, register HERE no later than January 8, 2021.
- January 8, 2021 – Last day to register to participate in Lobby Day
- March 22, 2021 – Lobby Day training webinar
- March 24, 2021 – Lobby Day
Join the 2021 AAUW California Board of Directors
BET YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS…Bold, Brave, & Brilliant!
These are the leadership traits we are looking for in candidates to fill three open positions on the 2021 AAUW California Board of Directors.
- President-Elect (one-year term 2021-2022) during the second year of the president’s term, followed by a two-year term (2022-2024) as president
- Chief Financial Officer (two-year term 2021-2023)
- Director (two-year term 2021-2023)
We bet that You have these leadership qualities. If you have been thinking about getting more involved at the state level with AAUW and have been enjoying and learning from all the webinars this year and appreciate all the programs planned to meet AAUW’s mission, then contact the Nominations & Elections Committee.
Deanna Arthur, Charmen Goehring, and Janice Lee are here to cheer you on and to answer your questions at email@example.com.
It’s a collaborative, fun, action-oriented time to be part of AAUW California’s leadership team.
Click HERE for details on “How to Proceed,” but we are also happy to guide you through the process personally and to give you the inside scoop!